Foam Corrosion Solution

Mods and custom builds
keith

Foam Corrosion Solution

Post by keith »

I found this product at a wood flooring school that I was teaching at. It is a vapor barrier the is designed to go between a wood floor and a concrete slab and provide ventilation for the slab. It is about 5/16 thick. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was that it would make a good barrier between an aluminum hull and pour in foam. You could line the inside of your hull before you pour the foam and you would have about 1/4 inch gap that would allow any water to drain to the back of the hull.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: Foam Corrosion Solution

Post by mojomizer »

Keith Welcome to AAB Thank you for posting a innovative Idea. Will the nubs attach to the hull? or freely float? I hope someone more qualified than I can review your Idea.

Keep on posting :thumbsup:

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
keith

Post by keith »

Hey Mark,
I was thinking that one could just cut the product to fit in between the framing in the boat and line the hull. I don't think you would want to use any adhesive to glue it to the hull. You could tape it to the framing to hold it in place but once the foam is set nothing would move. You would then have a 1/4 inch space between the hull and the plastic for water drainage and air circulation.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Don't know if you want rubber on your alloy .

Y'all do know that most boat builders do NOT fill every nook and cranny with foam.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
keith

Post by keith »

It's not rubber it's plastic. It seemed like a good way to allow drainage for those that do want foam in a small boat.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sorry Keith, I had RUBBER on my mind . The plastic might just work.
Lester,
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

Post by SJD »

Is corrosion related to foam a problem? Never heard of this being an issue before. Any pacific owners had problems with this?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pacific leaves channels so if any water get in it can flow to the rear.
Lester,
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

What about the area where the thousand of nubbs touch?? That area will hold the moisture against the hull . I like watertight bulkheads and no foam.

Welderbob
keith

Post by keith »

Yea, I suppose it might hold water under the nubs. At least if it did, there would be more air circulation than without it. I was also under the impression that there was a reaction between salt water and polyurethane foam. I'm not at all trying to sell this stuff to anyone. It just seemed like it was something that might work to provide drainage. There are boat owners on this sight that have had issues with water under their decks even though they are "sealed".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic