Pod Design

Mods and custom builds
gulfislander
Your location: BC

Pod Design

Post by gulfislander »

Hey all,
been looking for my next boat. seriously considering this one but have some worries about the pod design. I have yet to do a sea trial, hopefully next friday. The photo is kinda hard to see what i'm trying to describe but I'll try giving a description along with it. Instead of being a continuation of the hull line it steps up 2 inches and continues on an incline to the motor support. The pod length is 32". it effectivly moves the outboard aft to allow for full hight transom with fishbox but in my opinion would not improve the ride at all. I also worry about the space being prone to cavitation. This will be my first boat with a pod so looking for advise from all the knowlegable members on here. should i be wary of it? anything to take notice on during the seatrial?

Cheers

http://aluminumalloyboats.com/gallery/i ... age_id=908

please let me know if the link doesnt work.. my first time posting image
gulfislander

Re: Pod Design

Post by gulfislander »

also if this type of situation has been discussed before please point me in the right direction. I tried searching it but came up with nothing. maybe i'm useing the wrong key words
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

You likely don't have anything to worry about there, that is not an uncommon design for a transom bracket. What we can't see is the rest of the boat which would tell us a bit more about the potential for other issues. What is the length, make, model and age of the boat. What horsepower is the engine? Is it the original power or has the engine been changed and if so what was the original power?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

thanks for the reply. its a 1996 armstrong hull back when they were built in sydney bc. 19' plus 32" transom braket. Its a 2011 150 ph yamy, not sure what the motor was before. no info on deadrise and havn't had the time to calculate it. hope this info and pics answer some questions
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/gallery/i ... age_id=910
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/gallery/i ... age_id=909
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

As CHAPS was saying the desgn is common today on many boats...it is the way each manfacturer does it that gives you a wide variation in performance and capability...with the 150 that boat should really 'gitalong'. My boat fo similar style has a 90 Yammy and she tops out about 29kts and cruise at 19-21 kts with comsumption about 3.5/hour. my baot is rated fro a 150 and they tell me they top out about 45-50kts. So with all that said take that seatrial and if there is nothing else wrong with the boat and you like it, BUY IT!!!

Make sure you look under seats, open every hatch and plate cover, take a flashlight and a small dig cam with flash that you can stick in places you can't see into. Poke the decks if covered wood. Put up the canvas. Look at the switches and wires and connectors...turn on the lights stick the stern light in the holder...any safety gear age and condition...does the electronics work how old...with the newer engine the gagues are most likely changed out but if it had a Yamy before the same ones may be used again, make sure they work...with a new engine make sure the top end revs are correct as the new prop may not be right...you get the idea! Check the trailer too, tires, wheels, lugs and nuts, suspension, brakes, bolts, coupler and lights...see if they are upgraded to LED. When boat is being launched look at the hull where the bunks support it...look for pits and corrosion...some is natural with age some abuse and lack of care..Ask us questions!

Have a good time! Capt PJ

Did I forget something? OH yeah offer them half what they are asking as a starting point!!! :thumbsup:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

You're on a roll there PJ, all good advice. Chances are that boat originally had a 2 stroke which would have been lighter so the fore/aft balance has shifted back a bit but those are generally stout (heavy plate alloy) hulls that shouldn't be too adversely affected. Nice boat BTW, those Canadian Armstrong monohulls look good IMO.
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

I took a pretty serious look around the boat last time i was there. opened every hatch stuck my head where ever it could reach and seemed pretty clean with no major worry points. All aluminum decks so no worries about rotten floors. it has brand new canvas. Only electronics it comes with is a iCom vhf in good working condition, dual batterys and wired for scottys. All new yamy digital gauges with the 2011 motor still under warenty with the option to buy the extended warrenty. The trailer is in fair condition. good tires plus spare. surge brakes just redone incl. new lines. Lights are old and craked. ready for an l.e.d upgrade i think. I'm getting excited to take her out for a sea trial! supposed to blow a bit friday witch will be good to tet her out in a bit of waves! thanks for the imput and I'll be sure to post up some questions and lots of photos if i end up getting it!

Cheers,
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

Took her for a test drive and had some fun in a fair bit of windchop. She was a great boat but the dealership it was at is not willing to negotiate the price at all or through in anything extra into the deal. So i walked. theres always other boats out there! although she was a fine vessle!
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

You have time on your side so to speak...it still isn't pleasant boating season yet...give a week 10days and drop by on your way someplace...so to speak and make an offer...is it a consigment boat? Ask them to call the party...Glad you found out what she is like and you have a comparison point now...GOOD HUNTING!!
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
gulfislander

Post by gulfislander »

It was a trade in, so the dealership owns the boat. I know for a fact that there were other interested parties who had left a deposit on the boat before me but they all ended up passing on it. I can only assume that it was because they as well offered low and were turned down. If your selling a used boat you gotta have some wiggle room on your price! especially in this market! but i will drop in in a few weeks and dangle another offer in front of his face.

Cheers!
pjay9 wrote:You have time on your side so to speak...it still isn't pleasant boating season yet...give a week 10days and drop by on your way someplace...so to speak and make an offer...is it a consigment boat? Ask them to call the party...Glad you found out what she is like and you have a comparison point now...GOOD HUNTING!!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

gulfislander wrote:Took her for a test drive and had some fun in a fair bit of windchop. She was a great boat but the dealership it was at is not willing to negotiate the price at all or through in anything extra into the deal. So i walked. theres always other boats out there! although she was a fine vessle!
Don't know about this particular situation but there are some businesses that price things realistically from the get-go and stay with their decision, I'll never quibble with that approach, its how I quote my work. The fact that they won't take less shouldn't be held against them, its their boat, they are thinking someone is eventually going to recognize the value. From looking at the hull pics I'd say you won't find a tougher built, better riding run-about style boat. :thumbsup:
dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

The Armstrong monohulls seem to be great boats. I wish they still built the smaller monohulls.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic