Pelagic Boats 28' Build

General boating discussion
Pelagic Boats
Your location: Victoria Australia

Pelagic Boats 28' Build

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Hi All,
Some pictures of that latest boat to leave our factory. It is a custom built 8.5m with a 3.2m beam and Island Cab wheel house configuration. It was designed for Charter fishing of Victoria's South East Coast.
Hope you enjoy.

Pelagic Boats

Re: Pelagic Boats 28' Build

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Nice looking boat and the Graphics look excellent. need more rod holders thou.

Trailer looks sick as well
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Awsome!

What is that covering the dash, more wrap graphic stuff?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Its a Vinyl imitation carbon fiber, looks like the real thing and has a texture to it. It also reduces glare from the dash.
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

Now that is an awsome machine...do have any shots underway? Only thing it is so dark...it would be hard to spot from the air in a search situation...just saying! That's my STCW training coming into play! Very sweet! :beer:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
dawgaholic
Your location: Middle Georgia

Post by dawgaholic »

She's a beauty! And I agree, the wrap looks really good. The helm layout is spot on, uncluttered, everything seen at a glance. You have enough rod holders, sheesh, you'd think some folks would be happy having 30 rigs ready as shown but prefer the porcupine look of more.
I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
keggadev
Your location: NH

Post by keggadev »

Great looking hull. Does anyone in the states make this style in a 24-26?
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Gday all, glad you like the boat, It was a 6-7 Month build for this one as it was very customised for the Customer’s needs. The reason for the rod holders has to do with where this boat operates and the amount of passengers it’s surveyed to carry. At one time it could have as many as 12 people fishing from one side. As far as I know there is no one is the stats building hulls like this and from what I have seen the US built alloy hulls look to be very basic below the waterline.
Katoh
Your location: A.C.T Australia.

Post by Katoh »

Yeah Looks OK! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously looks nice. Well done :beer: It'll catch more fish because it looks like a giant lure :?:
What's the deck height above waterline? looks mighty high.
Cheers
Katoh
I maybe slow, but I'm bloody rough!
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Sole height above waterline is almost 300mm, this is a little higher than normal but was required for the amount of passengers the client was wanting to carry.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Very nice build :thumbsup: It seems that glare is mentioned when the windshield is tilting aft.....have you ever done a forward tilting windshield and compared the effects of the glare??

Love the "fish around" pilot house :clap:
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

You are spot on a forward facing wind screen will reduce glare, but they are not very popular here in Australia on boats of this size it’s not till you get up to a round 40'+ you start to see them. Island Cabs are also becoming very popular down here as well with the charter operators as well as some of the government bodies are starting to use them also as you can work the entire boat without having to climb up around the forward deck.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Sorry , Have to ask the question.
Why Outboards? In this size boat ain't you better of with good old "Rudolf Diesel", with the price of fuel (unleaded) and especially the quality or lack off in Oz, the running cost would be horrific.
I don't want to start a debate, but with so much new technology and smaller lighter diesels out there, surely it must be a better path, especially on a charter boat.
Cheers
Katoh
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Katoh, what are the prevailing prices in Oz? Here, diesel sells at a 10-15% premium to 87 octane unleaded and the argument over power as you size up in boat is that the typical rec owner will never see a penny of any potential savings due to the laxity of use as well as many do not keep their boats long enough. So OB's being cheaper to buy initially is the mentality here, until you reach sufficient displacement warranting diesel. Now a commercial or for hire fisherman would be more likely to hold onto his boat and use it enough to realize the operational savings so I see your point. They are rigging CC's with quad OB's and saw a pic of one at the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show opening up this Week with trip 557's, a 42' Hydra-Sports CC. But these are go fast fishing boats with zero amenities and many of the tournament & for hire builds are coming with full tuna towers but 50+ in heavy seas is what these crazy folks want, skimming the tops of the swell/waves. Oh, with stereo systems they can here 10 miles away too....
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Katoh wrote:Sorry , Have to ask the question.
Why Outboards? In this size boat ain't you better of with good old "Rudolf Diesel", with the price of fuel (unleaded) and especially the quality or lack off in Oz, the running cost would be horrific.
I don't want to start a debate, but with so much new technology and smaller lighter diesels out there, surely it must be a better path, especially on a charter boat.
It was talked about but not for very long, The charter business also runs a 10m Clayton with a diesel stern drive and had nothing but trouble with it so the decision to go outboards was a very easy one to make.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

dawgaholic wrote:Katoh, what are the prevailing prices in Oz?
Our Unleaded fuel 91octanne sells down at the bay for Ave $1.60 Litre and the premium 98octane Ave $1.90 Litre.
The diesel sells for about the same price as the 91. I'm not up to date with the efficiency of new outboards, but I know when I had my Cat the two Johnson 90,s Two Strokes where very very thirsty , with both running say at at 3.5k rpm each, 40 litres an hour would get swallowed up no prods. Makes for a very expensive trip. My Volvo Ad31B at 2.1k rpm uses a mere 7-9liters an hour. Theoretically out of a 130liter tank I should have a range of over 300 miles.
Pelagic Boats wrote: It was talked about but not for very long, The charter business also runs a 10m Clayton with a diesel stern drive and had nothing but trouble with it so the decision to go outboards was a very easy one to make.
Ok that's fine, must ask what breed of Diesel and leg is on the boat?
Cheers
Katoh
gandrfab
Your location: Edgewater Fl

Post by gandrfab »

"Theoretically out of a 130liter tank I should have a range of over 300 miles."
130liters = 34.3424 US gallons :?:
Pelagic Boats

Post by Pelagic Boats »

Katoh wrote:
dawgaholic wrote:Katoh, what are the prevailing prices in Oz?
Our Unleaded fuel 91octanne sells down at the bay for Ave $1.60 Litre and the premium 98octane Ave $1.90 Litre.
The diesel sells for about the same price as the 91. I'm not up to date with the efficiency of new outboards, but I know when I had my Cat the two Johnson 90,s Two Strokes where very very thirsty , with both running say at at 3.5k rpm each, 40 litres an hour would get swallowed up no prods. Makes for a very expensive trip. My Volvo Ad31B at 2.1k rpm uses a mere 7-9liters an hour. Theoretically out of a 130liter tank I should have a range of over 300 miles.
Pelagic Boats wrote: It was talked about but not for very long, The charter business also runs a 10m Clayton with a diesel stern drive and had nothing but trouble with it so the decision to go outboards was a very easy one to make.
Ok that's fine, must ask what breed of Diesel and leg is on the boat?
They Run a Volvo and Volvo Leg. Its was rebuild after 1 season i think. And he recons he has spent almost 40K on it.
Katoh

Post by Katoh »

Pelagic Boats wrote: They Run a Volvo and Volvo Leg. Its was rebuild after 1 season i think. And he recons he has spent almost 40K on it.

REALLY!! All the Volvo Pentas I have come across are virtually bullet proof, Motors and legs good for at least 5k hours. Shite they must of really gone down hill since mine was built! I must be honest I havn,t looked at any of the newer stuff at all, the only one that I have read up on was the little Mercruiser 1.7ltre that was an option in the larger Quintrex, not a bad thing from what I read but I don't like the Mercruiser setup in the leg.
gandrfab wrote:"Theoretically out of a 130liter tank I should have a range of over 300 miles."
130liters = 34.3424 US gallons :?:
This is is totally Theoretical as I wrote, until I have my own figures I am going on what I have been told by the previous owner.
At 2500rpm the motor uses 7-9 litres/hour lets say 10l\h, They claim the boat with crew was pushed along at 20Knots at that motor speed. 130 litre tank gives us 13hrs at 10l\hr x by 20 knots should give us 260 miles per tank. If my math is correct.
Cheers
Katoh
dawgaholic

Post by dawgaholic »

Peezer wrote:Sweet Vessel I like her layout. For 12 passenger I would have ordered the front edge of the hardtop to be loaded with rodholder's also.
The rodholders are spot on, you need allot more than most recreational or part time angler realize.
Two to three up and out of the way rods per fishermen is great and exceptional, four would be ideal and excellent.
People laughed ay my boats 18 rodholders up on the roof when I was publishing her build, now that ive fished her for over 150 charters I often wish I had more capacity up an out of the way.
Re-dooing busted fishing rids during a hot bite is a waste of precious fishing time. It distracts the captain and mate from facilitating the recovery of fish and rebaiting of hooks etc.
It did look curious but once you got her outfitted, made perfect sense. And like you say, on a hot bite nothing is more disheartening that to have to re-rig while everybody else is killing it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic