Fishers Island

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Fishers Island

Post by Tin Cup »

Brought the boat down to Groton CT on Monday to fish the Fishers Island - Race area on Monday night with a good buddy from work. Everything was perfect to fish the outgoing during sunset, glass conditions. On our first drift with eels, Marc comes tight. He was pumped to land and release his first respectable striper. We watched large fish finning on the surface slurping sand eels. Seemed like it was going to be an epic night but never was, everything shut down after this fish. We fished until about 10pm when we saw the coasties come zooming out of the harbor straight to us. They boarded us for a routine inspection; nice enough guys, no issues. We hoped they would change our luck but didn't. A great night on the water regardless.

Looking forward to this weekend :beer:
Attachments
IMG00010-20100524-1947.jpg
IMG00010-20100524-1947.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 6303 times
MacCTD

Re: Fishers Island

Post by MacCTD »

Nice.
If you are ever interested in having another boat come along let me know, I am in MA also north of Boston. I have wanted to try fishing in that area but not knowing it I would prefer to follow someone the first time.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Sure, the Fishers Island area is perfect for your new 19' rig, lots of protected and very fishy water. It's one of my favorite areas to fish. Only draw back is that it may be ~3hr trip for you (I'm in Upton, due west of Boston) I will be using my boat out of Weymouth this weekend, still looking to get into them thick.
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

:thumbsup:
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Nice Fish!!! :clap: The race is a great spot this time of year, You just need to know where to set up your drift and once you find them you can get tight each drift! by the end of June the blues will dominate, I've also have had alot of fun sight casting around big and little gull islands and all around Fishers.
Last edited by Challenge on Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice job Tin Cup....what is the deal with the whole license thing and did the CG check yours :?:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Beginning in 2010, in order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island's marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:

* A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
* A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
* A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Do CT, RI, & Mass reciprocate :?:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I don't CT does
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

21ftcc wrote:Beginning in 2010, in order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island's marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:

* A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
* A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
* A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state
This is my understanding with the exception that the State permit supersedes the Federal permit depending on the state. NY, CT, RI are reciprocal. RI claims they are valid in MA, but when I checked the MA regs they do not acknowledge this, MA only references the need for the Federal permit. :banghead: Based on this, I got both the federal permit (free)to cover me in MA and the RI to cover me in RI, NY and CT. The out of state RI permit is only $10, CT is $60.

When the CG boarded me, they only checked my boat registration and that I had the required safety gear. No mention of fishing permits was made.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

The whole thing is a mess. My Pelagic permit covers the boat UNLESS we are fishing for others such as fluke, bass ect..... Then it covers only me.....

They should just come clean with all fisherman and say "we want more money" then everyone could send a one time check in for $150.00 :!: They could hire new officers, buy new boats, and leave us the #%&* alone :!: :mrgreen:

Sorry but I have a hard time with requiring a license and using the funds to employee officers and buy them new boats so they can police me and all other rec fishermen, your wife or girlfriend, your mom or dad, your teenage son or daughter after a family day of fishing OTW :!: It's not right IMHO :!:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

Alloy is right about HMS, so as for now get a Federal license and fish. Once next year comes we will have to get a Mass license and/or a federal license. There is no super state license. If it says OR then just get the cheaper license I keep a copy of the REGS on my boat to should the fish police.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/outrea ... pdated.doc
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Usually being treated as a terrorist never changes my luck here in Navy land.

But that's a sweet fish. :thumbsup:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic