Donator '12

Munson Boats

Post by Illgotoo »

Has anyone owned a Munson boat? I'm interested in how
they compare with other alloy boats in terms of construction
and ride.

There's a 19' CC available used. Personally, I'm a bit maxed
out on boats at the moment, but you never know. Often it
takes very little to pull the trigger on another boat.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I second that!

You have boats like I have reels. But then again you can always swap out, sell the least used and go for another. Or as I do buy then try and sell....the reverse method doesn't work so well.

That's what I do with reels and rods. I usually loose in the end, but then again my file on tackle is quite thick.

It's not how many you own, its what you know about each one, that impresses me. And there's no way of knowing all that without owning one for awhile, at least.

Love that lil Stabicraft!
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Munson is one of the oldest and largest workboat builders in the PacNW. Most of their current production seems to be in the front loading landing craft types. Very solidly built, ride depends on what hull you are specifically talking about though I would expect one of their older CC's to be a shallow deadrise type.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Jettywolf: I love that Stabi too. It's like a reel because you can decide to take it fishing at the last minute. Its no trouble to hook up, tow or launch. Its a fun ride -- it'll go anywhere.

Chaps: I think you're right about the deadrise. It looks to be about 10 degrees at the transom. It's not a landing craft. The boat has lots of freeboard. Closely spaced transverse structure (if that's the word for it)
is exposed on the inside of the boat. It looks like a strong hull.

-tom

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

What year is the Munson your looking at?

Bob
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Illgotoo,

When I was researching the building of my boat, I took a serious look at munson and liked their design, I couldn't get the builder to agree to build the 300-gallon fuel cell I needed. So I broke off discussions with them. Shortly there after he stopped building the cruisers and just made the front loaders. I guess that market was better or more profitable.

I really feel bad for the majority of builders making bigger boats in this economy. The builders like John, Jay and Bevan will probably do better when guysw figure out how economical the boats these guys build are.

Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

is this it?

1994 19'old CG boat?

ImageImage

this ones just 28 miles south of me.

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitdsc/
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

In the bottom pic...is that gunwale busted?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Good eye Dave.......sure does look like it to me.

No problem though,......little duct tape here & there......good as new! :)

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Greg P

Post by Greg P »

S L Dave wrote:In the bottom pic...is that gunwale busted?

It is a door isn't it :lol: 8)
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Yes...that must be a door.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

Given how I see the government employees abuse boats up here, I'd never touch a gov boat unless it was just for the hull and even then I'd look at it very closely....... They run around red lining the boats burning 50gph trying to catch somebody having a good time. And then they wonder why they keep loosing engines....
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Kelper wrote:Given how I see the government employees abuse boats up here, I'd never touch a gov boat unless it was just for the hull and even then I'd look at it very closely....... They run around red lining the boats burning 50gph trying to catch somebody having a good time. And then they wonder why they keep loosing engines....
Kelper: I think I agree with your statement. Not bidding on this boat at this
time. I've bought two boats from the government auction and have had to
spend considerable time, effort and $ on them. My experience is that there
was none of the savings buying used from a government auction.

I picked up a 25' whaler with no engines - fine that was the way it was listed.
But one would think that steering would be included. No steering wheel. All
electronics were removed by cutting the wiring harnesses. It was not in the shape I expected.

The second boat had an outboard with a blown cylinder. You cannot start
up the outboards when you inspect these boats. I asked about it and was
told the motors worked fine when last used. (I didn't know a piston could
melt if the boat isn't used. :) )

I would have a lot more scrutiny about buying a boat this way in the future.

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
JRSTEPS

Re: Munson Boats

Post by JRSTEPS »

I OWN A 26 FOOT MUNSON TWIN HULL. HAS 10 FOOT DECK ON THE FRONT WITH FULL SIZE CABIN. I USE IT TO TRANSPORT SUPPLIES TO LINE HAUL BARGES ON THE OHIO RIVER. BOUGHT THE BOAT IN 2005 AFTER I GOT USE TO IT. 9000 LBS. TWIN YAMAHA 150 100 GALLON FUEL TANKS. WILL HAUL ABOUT 3500 LBS. REAL WORKHORSE COMMENT ABOUT THE RIDE "SWEET" IT RIDES ON AIR TRAPPED BETWEEN THE TWIN HULL. I SAID IT WAS A ROLLS ROYCE. AM GOING TO HAVE TO SELL IT DUE TO THE CLOSING OF OUR BOAT RAMP 5 OTHER RAMPS CLOSE BY BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH TO LAUNCH FROM. OUR RAMP (CITY OF ASHLAND ,KY) WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. THESE BOATS ARE OCEAN READY THE WELDING JOB IS TOP NOTCHED. AM VERY PLEASED WITH THIS BOAT. HAVE TWO OTHER BOATS. 24 FOOT WELDCRAFT AND 24 FOOT SEA ARK JON BOAT. THE LATTER OF THE 3 BOATS OWN HAS SINGLE MOTOR AND CAN LAUNCH FROM PARKING LOT WHEN IT IS UNDER WATER WHEN IT FLOODS TO SUPPLY THE BARGES.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

S.L. Dave, ya talking that Jax Pilot boat??
(which they now deleted the photos of the site I stole them from so they dissapeared...)

The only thing that happens to most of them is they tear up the giant rubber that pushes against the ships as Pilot boards them. Other than that, I'd like one of those boats just to Wake the crap outa my enemies!
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Post by kmorin »

Bill Munson was a shop foreman or fab hand for AlFab who was one of the oldest Puget Sound builders in the Miracle Metal, then AlFab ran into rough times, and he formed Munson Mfg. which built some fine commercial boats both work and fishing. Bill even set net fished on Kodiak Island, I believe, during the later 70's or the early 80's? Then Bill's firm got so successful it was purchased by AMF the conglomerate manufacturing holding company and Bill 'retired' to somewhere in Western Washington?

Slowly his 'guys', that had built hundreds of boats with him, quit AMF and the original Munson Mfg and were at loose ends- nagging him to get back into building. AMF blew the buyout and wasted the rep of this group of serious 'metal mongers' who were now reformed into Bill Munson Boats, or whatever their name is now? I think there was a naming issue as he'd sold he original Munson Mfg. to AMF?

Bill Munson builds good boats. Their quality is great and the boats were built to last so even if they've been "rode hard and put up wet" unless the wiring were compromised they could be restored or repaired if they were for sale at the right price. I've seen some of the most uniform and well laid beads in the Northwest on Mr. M.'s landing crafts in the last five years, and I'm sure that a group of guys who build boats together for three decades makes a quality boat.

Now the company's web page seems to imply they concentrate on landing craft work boats, not the offshore V-bottom, sprint, fishing machines more in vogue here at the AAB.com.

All the above is just what I've heard, not confirmed, so I'll assume everyone will read it as builder's lore as much as fact.

Cheers,
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic